About the Hazardous Waste and Solid Waste Trust Funds
- These "Trust Funds" were created in 1993.
- Money for these funds comes from the tipping fees that we pay at landfills and the $4 fee charged when we purchase a set of new tires.
- These fees have generated $469 million for the state.
- Unfortunately, using those funds for their intended purposes is left to state elected officials.
- Of the $469 million collected, about 40 percent ($193 million) has been used to fund other portions of the state budget.
- As a result, the state has a backlog of hazardous waste sites needing cleanup and dozens of illegal tire dumps in need of remediation.
It doesn't have to be this way. The Georgia Water Coalition and Georgians for Trust Fund Honesty are working with elected officials to make sure the money collected is used for its stated purpose. You can help. Sign the petition below to ask your legislators to restore the "trust" in trust funds.